commons-dev mailing list archives

From Niall Pemberton <niall.pember...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Weird class names [WAS RE: [VOTE] Release Commons IO 2.0 based on RC3]
Date Mon, 11 Oct 2010 23:29:32 GMT
On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 8:37 PM, Matt Benson <gudnabrsam@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Oct 11, 2010, at 11:49 AM, Gary Gregory wrote:
>
>> Hi All:
>>
>> The more I think about it and read it, the more non-English and odd the word "filesystem"
feels to me. I would never write: 'Do this or that with the filesystem.' It just sounds Dutch
or German to me. That's what I get for working with Dutch people :)

> Speaking as a native American English speaker and confessed spelling/grammar nazi, I
would personally *prefer* to see the compound "filesystem" used instead of "file system".
 I consider it to be simply one of those computing terms that is no less correct for your
spell checking software refusing to recognize it.

Thanks Matt for your opinion.

Part of me thinks its a bit late in the day to raise this when its
been in svn for 2+ years. But then again, if more people agree with
Gary then I can cancel the release and rename them (I would probably
opt for FileItem, FileObserver, FileMonitor rather than
FileSystemItem, FileSystemObserver, FileSystemMonitor).

Opinions welcome - either way :)

Niall

> $0.02,
> Matt
>
>> I am not the guardian of the English lanugage (and neither is Wikipedia), I do not
see compound nouns in English like as I do speakers of other languages use them.

>> About the Wikipedia entry: They do say "often also written as filesystem" but so
what? Wikipedia says a lot of things...

>> I am kinda ranting on this one because I think names are very important.
>>
>> Gary

camel-cased: Filesystem* should be FileSystem because "filesystem" is not a word in English.