commons-dev mailing list archives

From James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>
Subject Re: [VFS] Softening the exceptions...
Date Tue, 26 Oct 2010 02:57:07 GMT
On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 7:44 PM, Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com> wrote:

> This code has been sitting here for a year. Commons Configuration would like to do a
release but cannot until VFS is released. I'd like to work on the VFS release during the hackathon
next week. If you believe you can change how VFS does exception handling and then make the
necessary changes (if any) to Commons Configuration so that we can work on a release next
week then go for it.

I didn't come up with the softening exceptions idea until just today
when I was coding using VFS.  Our project at work uses VFS
extensively.  I don't mind helping, but I don't think we have a
consensus about what we are going to do.  We should probably figure
out what the plan of attack is before we start hacking around.  I
really think the exceptions should be softened, because it makes
working with VFS a real pain, IMHO.  The only place where you'll see a
problem in Configuration is where you used to use IOException as a
catch-all to catch VFS exceptions too.  Otherwise, you can still do
try/catch with FileSystemException and those will work.  You just
don't have to do the try/catch.

> Will you be at ApacheCon?

Unfortunately, I will not.  We have a newborn at home, so I don't
think I should try leaving the wife at home alone right now. :)