commons-dev mailing list archives

From Niall Pemberton <>
Subject Re: [IO] 2.0 RC2 available for review
Date Sun, 10 Oct 2010 04:04:00 GMT
On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 3:06 AM, Niall Pemberton
<> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 12:21 PM, Niall Pemberton
> <> wrote:
>> On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 10:31 AM, Jörg Schaible <> wrote:
>>> Hi Niall,
>>> Do you know why Gump is failing for "commons-io-test" since some weeks?
>> There has been more than one reason for the failures :(
>> Some times it was the FileSystemMonitorTestCase - which was also
>> failing in Continuum about every 3rd or 4th build. I made some changes
>> to that test and since then out of 43 builds it has only failed once.
>> The other main cause is FileCleaningTrackerTestCase throwing an
>> OutOfMemoryError. This was failing in Continuum and I made some
>> changes which seemed to have reduced the failures but there is still
>> the odd instance of it. Gump seems to be failing mostly because of
>> this now (although it is passing some of the time). This test tries to
>> fill up memory so that PhantomReferences get released - so thats
>> causing the OutOfMemoryError and is a problem with the test rather
>> than FileCleaningTracker
>> I have updated the following JIRA ticket with the history of Continuum
>> builds and the causes of the failures:
>> In summary though most failures are FileCleaningTrackerTestCase and
>> the problem is the test case.
> I've done some additional work on both the FileSystemMonitorTestCase
> and FileCleaningTrackerTestCase which I hope will get rid of the
> errors. Gump has been pretty much daily, so should have an indication
> soon. I have added the gump failures to the JIRA issue (from the mail
> archive) - can't tell the cause as theres no history AFAIK with gump.

Continuum has now run 30 builds without failing. Since the failures
are intermittent, theres no guarantee that they won't fail again, but
I believe that with the changes I've made they will at least happen
much less. I put together the following page which shows the history
of Continuum builds, which test caused each failure and the related
changes I've made:

>From seeing Continuum failure emails, it may seem that it has been
failing alot - but I think that the above shows that this is now not
the case for the individual tests.

> Because of these changes I'm going to roll another RC
>> Niall
>>> - Jörg

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: