commons-dev mailing list archives

From Filip Defoort <filip...@cirquedigital.com>
Subject Re: [VFS] Softening the exceptions...
Date Mon, 25 Oct 2010 17:41:17 GMT
Very much -1 on unchecked exceptions.

On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 10:33 AM, James Carman
<james@carmanconsulting.com> wrote:

> What do people typically do with those exceptions?  Seriously, do you
> retry stuff on a regular basis in your catch blocks?

Yes! Very much so. It's quite useful when dealing with stale nfs,
locked files,...

> I would say that
> it's pretty rare that folks actually do something locally meaningful
> when a checked exception occurs.

Maybe I'm the exception, but I'd be really sad to see the proper
exceptions go. I do very much agree with one of the other posters that
they could be more specific so you can easier throw groups of them
under the rug should you wish to.

- Filip