commons-dev mailing list archives

From Niall Pemberton <niall.pember...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [all] Preparing for Maven 3
Date Thu, 07 Oct 2010 11:29:45 GMT
On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 12:01 PM, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7 October 2010 02:46, Niall Pemberton <niall.pemberton@gmail.com> wrote:
>> The vote for Maven 3 is underway - http://markmail.org/message/4itian33hycyt4iz
>>
>> I have tested the builds for all the components in trunks-proper
>
> Thanks!
>
>> (using mvn -Prc clean package) and they worked, except for test
>> failures with configuration, email and jci - but I get those using m2
>> as well.
>>
>> Theres an issue with the commons-build-plugin which I need to look at
>> and I had a problem with the gpg plugin when doing mvn -Prc install on
>> a component.
>
> Does -Pjava-1.x still work?

Good point - need to check that.

> What about -Ptest-deploy?

Haven't tested that - or the release plugin stuff (with & without nexus).

>> Probably the biggest issue though is getting the sites
>> working. The <reporting> section is deprecated in m3 and reports need
>> to be configured differently and a new (m3 specific) version of the
>> site plugin used. I've tried this out adding "m3" profiles to branches
>> of commons-parent and chain:
>>    https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/commons-parent/branches/maven-3-test/
>>    https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/chain/branches/test-maven3-profile/
>>
>> The above have a profile which *activates* when m3 is used - as described here:
>>    https://cwiki.apache.org/MAVEN/maven-3x-and-site-plugin.html
>>
>> This profile approach to support both m2 and m3 is one way - but would
>> create a mess of duplicated configuration in all poms. It would be
>> much cleaner and less maintenance if we just adopted m3 and dropped m2
>> support :)
>>
>> I guess it will take a while for a consensus on this (if ever) but its
>> something to consider. In the meantime there is stuff we can do to
>> prepare for m3. It would be good to put reporting plugins into the
>> <pluginManagement> section of commons-parent.
>
> AIUI M2 would ignore <pluginManagement> for reporting plugins - I take
> it that M3 has fixed this?

The short answer is yes. But full answer is a bit more complex. Report
plugins are now defined in the site plugins "configuration". It (i.e.
the new m3 site plugin) has a method for determing the plugin version
which is briefly described here: http://tinyurl.com/2a339qs

>> Quite a few components
>> are on old versions of reporting plugins, so testing and upgrading to
>> the latest would be good. The one I had most problems with was
>> Checkstyle - details in the commit log:
>>    http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=1005273
>
> Maybe we should start a Wiki page to collect all such issues in one place?

Good plan.

Niall