commons-dev mailing list archives

From James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>
Subject Re: [VFS] Softening the exceptions...
Date Mon, 25 Oct 2010 15:10:27 GMT
On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 11:05 AM, Gary Gregory
<GGregory@seagullsoftware.com> wrote:
> Do we want the APIs to be quieter than using java.io.File for example? Or, should exceptions
be thrown from similar places?

Definitely quieter than java.io.File!  I *hate* that API for its
checked exceptions.

> I am worried that we would make all APIs "quiet" (unchecked exceptions) as a opposed
to really thinking where exceptions should be checked or return an Boolean error code (like
File mkdir)

I'm one of those folks who think the checked exceptions are evil, so I
am fine with getting rid of them entirely (think about how much nicer
your Hibernate code looks without the checked exceptions).  Boolean
returns are fine I guess.  No real strong opinion on that one.