commons-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Cooper <mart...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Weird class names [WAS RE: [VOTE] Release Commons IO 2.0 based on RC3]
Date Tue, 12 Oct 2010 02:42:05 GMT
On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 9:49 AM, Gary Gregory
<GGregory@seagullsoftware.com> wrote:
> Hi All:
>
> The more I think about it and read it, the more non-English and odd the word "filesystem"
feels to me. I would never write: 'Do this or that with the filesystem.' It just sounds Dutch
or German to me. That's what I get for working with Dutch people :)

I'm with Gary on this. Not only would I not write the above, I - and
most other people I know - don't speak that way either. We speak as if
they are the two words that they are. It's a file system, just like a
video system or a stereo system, or some other kind of system.

--
Martin Cooper

> I am not the guardian of the English lanugage (and neither is Wikipedia), I do not see
compound nouns in English like as I do speakers of other languages use them.

> About the Wikipedia entry: They do say "often also written as filesystem" but so what?
Wikipedia says a lot of things...

> I am kinda ranting on this one because I think names are very important.
>
> Gary

Filesystem* should be FileSystem because "filesystem" is not a word in English.