commons-dev mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [POOL] can the CheckedObjectPool be removed when introducing Java5 generics?
Date Mon, 11 Oct 2010 15:31:15 GMT
Yep. Good point, Matt. Thanks!  Simo pls do continue to point out candidates for deprecation
/ removal.  I would personally like to see pool skinnied down a little in 2.0, with some of
the specialized pools introduced to workaround problems in earlier impls removed.

On Oct 10, 2010, at 9:09 PM, Simone Tripodi <simone.tripodi@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for your feedback Matt,
> maybe I got blind because of the generics strong typing, but it would
> make sense in he scenario when an existing ObjectPool<?> instance
> doesn't expose the raw type.
> Thanks,
> Simo

> http://www.99soft.org/
>

> On Sun, Oct 10, 2010 at 5:00 PM, Matt Benson <gudnabrsam@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Oct 10, 2010, at 9:14 AM, Simone Tripodi wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all pool team,
>>> I've been working on introducing generics in the pool on trunk, I
>>> noticed the CheckedObjectPool could lose its power when the pool will
>>> use the generics.
>>
>> I don't work on [pool], but I would think that there would be a high likelihood of
a pool's being configured e.g. by a dependency injection container, so IMO a checked pool
is still relevant.