commons-dev mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [pool] Pool config vs. factory hierarchies.
Date Sun, 31 Oct 2010 01:34:57 GMT
On 10/30/10 2:30 PM, Simone Tripodi wrote:
> Hi Phil,
> the benefits of eliminating the member variables in favor of storing
> pool config reference are IMHO in therms of code maintainability and
> keep it as much simple as possible.

Maybe I am being dense here, but I don't quite get that.  The pool
has properties such as numActive that it needs to maintain as well
as the config-related properties.  Keeping the Config instance
around as a new pool property adds complexity and doesn't really
improve maintainability, as far as I can see; but it is quite
possible I am missing something.

> You can see the difference between the current
> Stack(Keyed)ObjectPool(Factory) - which are implemented according your
> vision - and Generic(Keyed)ObjectPool(Factory) implementations - that
> are still implemented with my first refactory.

No, these have the same new complexity (vis a vis the original code)
and I am not seeing what the benefit is.  Keeping the pool
properties as member fields, making the Config objects immutable and
just having the ctors copy properties from the immutable Config
instances (which are then thrown away) seems simpler and no harder
to maintain to me.  Again, I must be missing something.

I guess at the end of the day, I don't see the "Config" abstraction
as adding anything post-construction - i.e,, this abstraction is
only useful at pool construction time.  From the user perspective,
the config properties are no different from any other pool
properties, nor are they different internally.  Why should we need
to write Config.maxActive internally, but just use numActive and
other properties directly?  This looks to me like added complexity
that does not add any value, at least for the pools.  It makes more
sense to me for the factories to hold a reference to a Config instance.

Phil