commons-dev mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [pool] Reusing Config part 2
Date Mon, 25 Oct 2010 15:50:00 GMT
On 10/25/10 11:26 AM, Gary Gregory wrote:
> Thank you for working through this Simone.
>
> I would like to discuss something I took for granted in my experimental patch for [POOL-173].
I can see that you took and a more conservative (and safer ;) approach in your version. I
am glad to see this because we can now more easily discuss it because it is obvious in the
code now, where we have the following config hierarchy:

> AbstractGenericObjectPoolConfig
>     GenericKeyedObjectPoolConfig
>     GenericObjectPoolConfig
>
> IMO, there should be one Config class (call it GenericObjectPoolConfig for example.)
This hierarchy reflects that the actual two generic pool classes are out of sync.

> For example, why should softMinEvictableIdleTimeMillis exist in GenericObjectPool but
not in GenericKeyedObjectPoolConfig?

> When I think about a keyed pool vs. not, I think about a map of pools vs. a single pool.
It does not make sense that they the have the different configurations as reflected by the
current hierarchy.

> Thoughts?

Good point, Gary.  The softMin property could and probably should be
extended to GKOP.  The latter does have one property though -
maxTotal - that only makes sense for a keyed pool.

Unfortunately, another problem that we really have here is that
several of the config parameters mean different things for keyed vs
non-keyed pools.  For example, maxActive in a keyed pool really
means max active *per key*.  This is why maxTotal has to exist.
Same holds for maxIdle (but there is no "maxTotalIdle"). I have
thought about suggesting that we rename these parameters to
maxActivePerKey and maxIdlePerKey, resp.  Then we could dispense
with maxTotal (and keep maxIdle meaning for the union).  We might
want to think about doing that (though enforcing maxIdle so defined
will add a little overhead).  The nice thing about having the
hierarchy is that that is an easy change at this point (while we are
breaking stuff ;).

Phil

> Gary Gregory
> Senior Software Engineer
> Rocket Software
> 3340 Peachtree Road, Suite 820 • Atlanta, GA 30326 • USA
> Tel: +1.404.760.1560
> Email: ggregory@seagullsoftware.com

Config class, it
and since I'm not

> [...]
> [...]