commons-dev mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [pool] time to move groupId?
Date Sat, 16 Oct 2010 17:20:31 GMT
On 10/16/10 12:52 PM, James Carman wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 16, 2010 at 12:23 PM, Niall Pemberton
> <niall.pemberton@gmail.com>  wrote:
>>
>> Consistency is good, but deciding something based purely on
>> *consistency* rather than the merits of the situation is mindless.
>>

> Trying to keep things consistent is being mindful of the user's needs.
>   The consistency is part of the situation.  When you go to pool
> version 3, you'll have:
>
> 1.x - commons-pool:common-pool with package org.apache.commons.pool
> 2.x - org.apache.commons:commons-pool with package org.apache.commons.pool2
> 3.x - org.apache.commons:commons-pool3 with package org.apache.commons-pool3

 From what Dennis says above, it is not obvious to me that the
artifactId change for v 3 will be necessary - i.e., just bumping the
version number will allow multiples to be on the classpath at the
same time.  Can someone answer this question definitively?  If it
will be necessary to move to pool3 later, then I agree with James
that we may as well do it now.

> Makes lots of sense to the users.
>
> Again, it comes down to "you don't work on this project so stay out of
> its damn business" and "the release manager is doing the work so they
> can do whatever the hell they want."  So, why don't we just do what
> Incubator does and have a mini-PMC for each subproject since you don't
> want other members of the Commons PMC butting their noses into a
> project they don't actively participate in?

I don't think that is what Niall meant and its certainly not how I
see things.  A great strength of our community is that we *welcome*
input for one another as we make decisions at the component level.
We all benefit from that. The tricky bit is to agree on what we
standardize across components.  We have a long tradition of letting
component communities and those who step up to RM releases make a
lot of decisions independently.  That does not mean that we
shouldn't listen to feedback from the community or provide it when
we have something to say.  Nor does it mean that we are not *all*
responsible for *all* of our components.  Sometimes we disagree and
sometimes it takes a while to get to consensus, but IMO we are
*much* better off managing Commons as one community.

> At this point, I really don't care what you guys do.  In the grand
> scheme of things, it has absolutely zero impact on me what you do with
> this code.  I'm tired of arguing about this stuff all the time.

I am sorry you feel like that atm.

Phil