commons-dev mailing list archives

From Dennis Lundberg <denn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [all] Preparing for Maven 3
Date Thu, 07 Oct 2010 18:09:58 GMT
On 2010-10-07 03:46, Niall Pemberton wrote:
> The vote for Maven 3 is underway - http://markmail.org/message/4itian33hycyt4iz
>
> I have tested the builds for all the components in trunks-proper
> (using mvn -Prc clean package) and they worked, except for test
> failures with configuration, email and jci - but I get those using m2
> as well.

Thanks for testing Niall.

> Theres an issue with the commons-build-plugin which I need to look at
> and I had a problem with the gpg plugin when doing mvn -Prc install on
> a component. Probably the biggest issue though is getting the sites
> working. The <reporting> section is deprecated in m3 and reports need
> to be configured differently and a new (m3 specific) version of the
> site plugin used. I've tried this out adding "m3" profiles to branches
> of commons-parent and chain:
>     https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/commons-parent/branches/maven-3-test/
>     https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/chain/branches/test-maven3-profile/
>
> The above have a profile which *activates* when m3 is used - as described here:
>     https://cwiki.apache.org/MAVEN/maven-3x-and-site-plugin.html
>
> This profile approach to support both m2 and m3 is one way - but would
> create a mess of duplicated configuration in all poms. It would be
> much cleaner and less maintenance if we just adopted m3 and dropped m2
> support :)

We should be able to put the m3 profile in commons-parent to avoid the
duplication.

> I guess it will take a while for a consensus on this (if ever) but its
> something to consider. In the meantime there is stuff we can do to
> prepare for m3. It would be good to put reporting plugins into the
> <pluginManagement> section of commons-parent.

The Site Plugin for Maven 3 will work with (almost) the same
configuration as the Site Plugin for Maven 2. It will transform the old
configuration format to the new one on-the-fly. To be able to have our
builds support both Maven 2 and Maven 3, there are only a few things
that we need to do. Once we (the Maven team) get the Site Plugin for
Maven 3 into a good enough state, I'll get back with more info.

> Quite a few components
> are on old versions of reporting plugins, so testing and upgrading to
> the latest would be good. The one I had most problems with was
> Checkstyle - details in the commit log:
>     http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=1005273

Updating plugins is a good idea, especially to versions that support
Maven 3, for more info see

https://cwiki.apache.org/MAVEN/maven-3x-plugin-compatibility-matrix.html

> Niall

Dennis Lundberg