commons-dev mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Math] Code review
Date Sat, 02 Oct 2010 15:37:37 GMT
On 10/1/10 5:23 PM, Gilles Sadowski wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 01, 2010 at 04:05:11PM -0500, Brent Worden wrote:

>>> Isn't there some plugin such as CheckStyle or FindBugs that could be called
>>> from maven?
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> To generate all reports, including checkstyle and findbugs, via Maven:
>> mvn site:site
>>
>> To generate checkstyle report:
>> mvn checkstyle:checkstyle
>>
>> To generate findbugs report:
>> mvn findbugs:findbugs
>
> This, I know. In fact I was surprised that Sebb uncovered so many problems
> that were _not_ reported by FindBugs or Checkstyle. Hence my question: Can
> there be additional Maven plugins that will report all the things which
> Eclipse sees?

One difference is that the findbugs and checkstyle reports do not
run against the test code.  We could configure them to do that,
which would probably turn up *lots* of stuff that we could fix or
configure exceptions for.

 From my perspective, checkstyle.xml effectively represents our
coding style rules.  I am fine with people making cosmetic changes
that go beyond what is specified in those checks, but I am -1 on
requiring access to or specifying usage of any specific IDE to
ensure compliance with [math] coding standards.

I am also fine with adding other static code analysis plugins such
as findbugs to point out potential bugs, as long as we maintain the
associated config files and uniformly either fix or manage
exceptions.  Here again, tools need to be freely available and
IDE-independent if we expect the community to use them.

Phil