commons-dev mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [MATH] Change test code to remove fail("wrong exception type caught")
Date Sat, 02 Oct 2010 14:08:54 GMT
On 10/1/10 10:52 AM, Luc Maisonobe wrote:
> Le 01/10/2010 16:34, Gilles Sadowski a écrit :
>> On Fri, Oct 01, 2010 at 03:17:58PM +0100, sebb wrote:
>>> There are quite a few test cases that have code like:
>>>
>>> public void testSomething(){
>>>      try {
>>>        something();
>>>        fail("an exception should have been caught");
>>>      } catch (EstimationException ee) {
>>>        // expected behavior
>>>      } catch (Exception e) {
>>>        fail("wrong exception type caught");
>>>      }
>>> }
>>>
>>> This is unnecessary code; worse, the actual Exception is lost.
>>>
>>> I propose to fix these by converting them to:
>>>
>>> public void testSomething() throws Exception {
>>>      try {
>>>        something();
>>>        fail("Expecting EstimationException ");
>>>      } catch (EstimationException ee) {
>>>        // expected behavior
>>> }
>>>
>>> Any objections?
>>
>> Shouldn't we move to JUnit 4, i.e. using
>> ---CUT---
>>      @Test(expected=EstimationException.class)
>>      public void testSomething() {
>>          something();
>>      }
>> ---CUT---
>
> I agree JUnit 4 is the way to go here. We already have some JUnit 4
> tests, we simply did not change everything when we switched to Java 5
> and change the tests slowly.
>
> This is a good opportunity for these tests, so +1 for the switch here.

I am personally not in love with using annotations in test code, but
that train has left the station, so +0 if someone else wants to do
the boring work to change everything.  Please be careful though not
to lose sensitivity in the tests.

+1 for sebb's original suggestion - the exception should not be lost.

Phil