commons-dev mailing list archives

From Jörg Schaible <>
Subject Re: [proxy] suppression of equals/hashCode
Date Tue, 21 Sep 2010 07:23:22 GMT
Hi Matt and James,

Matt Benson wrote:

> On Sep 20, 2010, at 6:11 PM, James Carman wrote:
>> On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 7:01 PM, Matt Benson <>
>> wrote:
>>> This would seem quite complicated to execute, would it not?
>> What do you propose?
> I don't know for sure yet.  My initial reaction would have been to try and
> consolidate the current handling somehow down to AbstractProxyFactory,
> then control whether proxies used the default behavior with a simple
> boolean property.  This would therefore be what it is today:  a detail of
> the existing ProxyFactory implementations.

the standard invoker in ProxyToys does simply call the methods of the
proxied objects. However, it depends on the actual proxy type, if this
default is replaced with something else (e.g. all delegating proxies will
handle equal and hashCode differently).

Bottom line is that it depends on the proxies' purpose, but it is not
configurable. You have to create a new proxy type to overwrite the proxies'
standard behavior.

- Jörg

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: