commons-dev mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject [pool] Start work on 2.0?
Date Sun, 12 Sep 2010 18:14:17 GMT
I would like to begin working toward a version 2.0 of [pool]. I
would also like to declare the 1.x codebase as officially "bugfix
only."  If others are OK with this and there is sufficient interest
in working toward a pool 2.0, I will cut a 1.x legacy branch and
start discussing / coding / applying patches for the following 2.0
features in trunk:

0) Generification (POOL-83)
1) Replace wait/notify with 1.5+ thread management
2) JMX instrumentation and management
3) Remove deprecated methods
4) Instance tracking (holding references to instances under
management and tracking events of interest from them - meeting DBCP
AbanonedObjectPool requirement)
5) Clean up and extend pool maintenance

Obviously, this is just my personal wish-list for [pool] and I am
open to any and all other ideas / itches.  What I would really like
to know at this point is whether or not there is community interest
in a modernized version of [pool] containing features like the ones
listed above.

Ugly as it may be, I think that given the level of reuse of [pool],
if we do move forward with 2.0, we will have to change the package
name to "pool2."  So I guess I am asking for consensus to make that
change in trunk as well.

Thanks in advance!

Phil