commons-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Griffiths <nicobre...@gmail.com>
Subject [daemon] What's the purpose of the fail method on DaemonController?
Date Sat, 18 Sep 2010 17:10:33 GMT
Hi list,

I've been looking at this fail method on DaemonController and it looks
like it is for giving a slightly friendlier error message back to the
console, rather than a stack trace.  I was hoping I could use this to
report error messages during initialisation, but it looks like that is
not the case.

I've noticed that the implementation in DaemonLoader doesn't allow it
before the daemon has started up, which seems odd to me as that seems
like the time you are most likely to want to fail with an error message.
Is this a bug, or is there some reason why it checks isAvailable before
it lets you call fail?

Cheers,
Nick