commons-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Benson <gudnabr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Collections] FastHashMap and FastTreeMap (and many others) no longer in trunk
Date Sun, 12 Sep 2010 14:47:56 GMT

On Sep 12, 2010, at 6:42 AM, sebb wrote:

> On 12 September 2010 12:03, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
>> The classes FastHashMap and FastTreeMap are no longer anywhere in trunk.
>>
>> They were deleted as part of
>>

>> r814999 | bayard | 2009-09-15 06:33:20 +0100 (Tue, 15 Sep 2009) | 3 lines
>> Changed paths:
>>
>> Merging from -r468106:814127 of collections_jdk5_branch - namely where
>> these files were removed.
>> <<<<
>>
>> It looks like some of the other classes removed in this commit are
>> present elsewhere in SVN - e.g. LRUMap is now in map/ - but most of
>> the classes seem to have been dropped entirely.
>>

> Note - the FastxxxMap classes are in tags/PRE_GENERICS_MERGE in the
> top-level collections package.
>
> They don't seem to be anywhere in
>
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/collections/branches/collections_jdk5_branch
>
> which was presumably used for the merge to trunk.

Hi Seb,
  I was just looking at this a few days ago--Stephen had removed them on the generics branch,
and it was my assumption he did so because Java 1.5+ has the java.util.concurrent collections/maps.
 We could create a 3.x branch from the point before the generics were merged, deprecate the
classes on the branch, and make a 3.3 release for reasons of etiquette, but IMO it's not a
huge deal as the jars aren't drop-in replaceable anyway.

-Matt