commons-dev mailing list archives

From Christian Grobmeier <grobme...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [nexus] Releasing with nexus (was: Fwd: [VOTE] Release Commons Compress based on RC2)
Date Wed, 18 Aug 2010 15:24:47 GMT
>> Noone ever proposed using something different.
>
> Huh?

> which I take to mean that he would like to be able to download src and
> bin from there.

Well, I didn't want it as a replacement for a download-server. But I
like javadocs and sources there. I just thought, it would not hurt -
if I need to download something manually, I will usually go to the
download-page of the project. But hey, if there are infra-limitations
- ok.

But i still think that the risk is low (without being in infra team)
and the risk is higher to delete out something. This is why each
project looks somehow different.

>> Admitted, the technical possibility to download from the Maven mirrors
>> exists. But that's not different from the technical possibility to use
>> www.apache.org directly and circumventing the mirrors.
>
> Of course, but I still think it's a bad idea to upload files to the
> Maven repos that are not supposed to be there.
> [Yes, I know there are .asc.md5 files sometimes, but these are very
> small, and no-one is likely to need them]

I cannot speak for infra - you know more. If following your path I would:

- wget the stuff to people
- check the hashes
- copy stuff to dist
- remove commons-compress-1.1-bin.* and commons-compress-1.1-src.* from nexus
- hit nexus release button

Then the following artifacts are released:
commons-compress-1.1-sources.jar*
commons-compress-1.1-javadoc.jar*
commons-compress-1.1.jar*
commons-compress-1.1.pom*

Is that correct? I have no problems with doing it like this but would
like to find some consens on the commons project.

Christian