commons-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [nexus] Releasing with nexus (was: Fwd: [VOTE] Release Commons Compress based on RC2)
Date Wed, 18 Aug 2010 11:56:57 GMT
On 18 August 2010 12:19, Christian Grobmeier <grobmeier@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> We should release the bits that we voted on and what goes to /dist
>>> *is* the release.  Therefore if we are going to vote on bits staged
>>> somewhere other than people.apache.org, we need to do something like
>>> what sebb describes above.  If wget is used, RMs should re-verify
>>> hashes on p.a.o before placing the files into /dist.  How do the
>>> other ASF projects using nexus handle this?
>>
>> I used Nexus for Jakarta BSF, but the non-Maven archives were uploaded
>> separately (to my pao directory). They were not part of the Maven
>> deploy, probably because the POM does not attach the package goal.
>>
>> So the vote was on two separate directories.
>
> I think it should be possible to perform a wget and then check if the
> hashes still work. That would be easy and if hashes are ok, the files
> we voted on are the same as the ones the RM checked
>
> The other question is: delete non-maven stuff out or not.
> Compress 1.0 has everything:
> http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/commons/commons-compress/1.0/
> I like it, to be honest. Everything I need on one place.

But that is not how the mirroring system is currently designed to work.

> some other components have this too:
> http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/commons/commons-email/1.2/
> http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/commons/commons-exec/1.0.1/
> http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/commons/commons-jexl/2.0.1/
> http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/commons/commons-jci-core/1.0/
>
> some not:
> http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/commons/commons-math/2.1/
> http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/commons/commons-io/1.3.2/
> http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/commons-betwixt/commons-betwixt/1.0-alpha-1/
> http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/commons-attributes/commons-attributes/2.1/
> http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/commons-beanutils/commons-beanutils-core/1.8.3/
> http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/commons-chain/commons-chain/1.2/
> http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/commons-cli/commons-cli/1.2/
>
> From these components which do not have the -bin and -src folders
> inside i found out that some even don't have -sources.jar or
> -javadoc.jar (for example beanutils-core). This is inconsistent.

It's probably because the poms were not set up properly.
Also, I think the source and javadoc jars were not originally
considered part of the Maven release.

We need to ensure that future Maven releases include these (which is
very easy to do with Nexus).

> I already had a project were I was forced to include all source files
> (medical devices) and then I had to download sources manually.
>
> Here is my +1 to release all the files with nexus without deleting anything out

I think this is at least partly an infrastructure issue.
If we don't remove the additional files, there will be a bigger load
on the Maven repo systems.

> and here is my +1 for using wget and ask the RM to check the hashes
> before he goes to dist

Agreed here.