commons-dev mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Math] Usage of "NullPointerException"
Date Thu, 05 Aug 2010 14:26:09 GMT
Gilles Sadowski wrote:
>>> As proposed in
>>>   https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MATH-401
>>> we could still do explicit checks for "null" but nevertheless throw the
>>> standard (non-specific and non localized) NPE.
>>>
>> The added value that I see is that an IAE designating which argument
>> that cannot be null is in fact null gives more specific information
>> to the caller (or production support person examining logs) than
>> just a propagated NPE.
>
> My argument is again "What can he do with that information? Nothing but
> report the bug to the application developer."
> Early failure (by explicitly throwing NPE as soon as the problem is
> detected) to pinpoint the cause is fine, but going beyond that (e.g.
> using a specific error message for each type found in CM) is not added
> value; it's bloated code.

No, it is providing full information on the failure, which is very
useful when troubleshooting problems during development and
production.  There is a reason that Java exception classes have a
"message" property. Developers who construct useful and informative
exception error messages are doing their users a big favor.  I do
not want to see us take backward steps in this area.

Phil