commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gilles Sadowski <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org>
Subject Re: [Math] outcome of MATH-405
Date Wed, 11 Aug 2010 14:49:36 GMT
> [...]
>
> It also appears that the Cartesian norm of a vector (in AbstractRealVector,
> in AbstractLeastSquares, ...) does not care at all about overflow or
> underflow.  I thus translated enorm.f (minpack) into Java.  My initial
> intend was to put in AbstractLeastSquares but it might be more useful in
> a more general location (MathUitls).  What do you think?

"MathUtils" contains various "distance" functions, so it would be logical to
have the "norm" functions there too.  But...
... I noticed that there is duplicated code: e.g. the same "distance"
computations are performed in "ArrayRealVector" and in "MathUtils". Since
some computations cannot directly access the internal ("private") data, then
maybe it would be more consistent (?) to have all distance computations
that involve "double[]" arguments (i.e. also those in currently in
"MathUtils") into "ArrayRealVector".

Gilles