commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gilles Sadowski <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org>
Subject Re: [Math] Method "getMessage(Locale loc)" in "MathIllegalArgumentException"
Date Tue, 03 Aug 2010 15:39:56 GMT
> > The above method makes it look like CM is providing ways to make a
> > "patchwork" of messages in several languages at the discretion of the
> > component builders.
>
> More precisely it allows to choose the display language at run time and even to change
it at run time.
> It is the explicit goal of this method.
> The use case for that is a web application running on a server. Several different users
may connect to it and have different languages settings (one french user and one english user
for example). The messages should be tailored for all these users. The proper settings is
retrieved from the HTTP protocol.

Fine.
[But it is again something that I'd better see handled by a higher-level
component etc.]

> > Only the application developer should be able to
> > define
> > the language to use for displaying message.
>
> No. It's a user setting.

Of course. I meant that it is certainly not a library developer who should
set a specific Locale but the application, based on user input.

Gilles