commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gilles Sadowski <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org>
Subject Re: svn commit: r981404 [1/3] - in /commons/proper/math/trunk/src: main/java/org/apache/commons/math/ main/java/org/apache/commons/math/analysis/integration/ main/java/org/apache/commons/math/analysis/interpolation/ main/java/org/apache/commons/math/analys...
Date Mon, 02 Aug 2010 09:31:51 GMT
> > I think that it would have been better to create an "exception.util"
> > package
> > to contain the low-level utilities for localizing the exception
> > messages.
> > That would emphasize that only when creating new exceptions (i.e.
> > designing
> > classes in the "exception" package) one should use those utilities,
> > but not
> > when using exceptions within other code in the library.
>
> But these classes are really public: they are used to provide the parameters for the
exception themselves so they appear to be at the same level as the exceptions.

My preference would have been that the parameters ("LocalizedFormats") never
appear anywere other than in the constructors of the exception classes.
[That would have been nice (TM).]  But that seems to be at odds with wanting
to provide a specific message at exception use (and not only at exception
definition).
However, having another level (a package "exception.util") makes a
separation between the ideal (IMHO) and the practical (the current way of
satisfying the requirements).
We can hope to come up with some future idea that will reconcile "ideal" and
"practical", in which case the contents of "exception.util" might change
while the contents of "exception" is meant to be a longer-term interface.
Do you see what I mean?

Gilles