commons-dev mailing list archives

From James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>
Subject Re: [flyweight] WAS [proxy] 2.0 WAS Re: a bit of commons-style code in search of a home
Date Tue, 20 Jul 2010 18:43:27 GMT
On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 2:36 PM, Matt Benson <gudnabrsam@gmail.com> wrote:
> I know what you mean; it's potentially not that much code.  Maybe start in the sandbox
and, once everything's working satisfactorily, decide what to do with it?  As for memory,
what if you actually put the map of flyweight id:instance onto a Flyweights class and managed
*its* id mappings statically/weakly?  Then a given Flyweight would just become expired whenever
its owning Flyweights instance () was no longer accessible, and its getObject could reflect
that somehow.  Typically it would be a sign of a programming error if a Flyweight associated
with a given container were used after its container had been reclaimed, so a simple exception
might be enough.  Just ruminating...

Interesting thought.  I'll have to churn on that one a while.
Basically what I'm trying to do is come up with a nice re-usable way
to solve the writeReplace()/readResolve() problem so that most folks
can understand it.  I can see having a superclass that automatically
registers a Flyweight for itself and spits that out in its
writeReplace() method.  Then, when anyone wanted that functionality,
they could extend that superclass.