commons-dev mailing list archives

From James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>
Subject Re: [proxy] Changing the API to an interface (AGAIN)...
Date Sat, 17 Jul 2010 04:22:57 GMT
On Sat, Jul 17, 2010 at 12:00 AM, Matt Benson <gudnabrsam@gmail.com> wrote:
> Not sure why one of our own never mentioned the existence of ProxyToys, but
> go figure.  ;)  I hate to exhibit NIH, but since I jumped into [proxy]
> partly to find a home for my fluent stubbed proxy code, I guess I'll
> persevere here.

ProxyToys has come up on the mailing list before:

http://www.mail-archive.com/commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org/msg66050.html

> That said, James:  what do you think about the fact that in ProxyToys
> *everything* is about Invokers, and everything else is expressed in those
> terms.  So where [proxy] has an Interceptor, ProxyToys has a Decorating
> Invoker, and where [proxy] delegates to an ObjectProvider, ProxyToys uses a
> DelegatingInvoker.  I can see how this makes for a simpler interface.

And, since you've got such a limited API with the Invoker, you will
still end up using reflection to do most of your work inside your
invoker(s).  Take a look at DelegatingInvoker for an example.  Commons
Proxy tries to eliminate the need for reflection calls (or it does it
for you).  You can do everything that is possible in ProxyToys using
Commons Proxy invoker proxies (since that's exactly what they are).