commons-dev mailing list archives

From Jochen Wiedmann <jochen.wiedm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [fileupload] Proposal to not use the platform default character encoding to prevent bugs.
Date Sun, 04 Jul 2010 12:34:43 GMT
2010/7/2 Eduardo PĂ©rez Ureta <edpeur@gmail.com>:

> So I suggest any of these three options:
> - deprecate org.apache.commons.fileupload.util.Streams.asString(java.io.InputStream
> pStream) that uses the platform default character encoding and
> deprecate not calling
> org.apache.commons.fileupload.FileUploadBase.setHeaderEncoding(String
> encoding) by issuing a warning.

I see no reason for deprecation. You are, of course, right that it is
inappropriate for the case of an international application. But, it
usually works perfectly for those applications, which aren't. And I
believe that the latter are still the majority. UTF8 definitely is the
better way in the long term, but it requires carefulness on all sides.

> - use UTF-8 by default in both
> org.apache.commons.fileupload.util.Streams.asString(java.io.InputStream
> pStream) and org.apache.commons.fileupload.FileUploadBase.setHeaderEncoding(String
> encoding) as it is common nowadays.

Definitely not. This would be an incompatible change. I might agree
with you, that choosing the default for a new application would be
subject to discussion, but not for an existing library, which is in so
broad use like commons-fileupload.

> - use the default servlet container character encoding, as used in
> javax.servlet.ServletRequest.getParameter(String name), in both
> org.apache.commons.fileupload.util.Streams.asString(java.io.InputStream
> pStream) and org.apache.commons.fileupload.FileUploadBase.setHeaderEncoding(String
> encoding) as users expect.

Same idea, same reply: Incompatible change, thus forbidden.

Sorry,

Jochen

--
Germanys national anthem is the most boring in the world - how telling!