commons-dev mailing list archives

From James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>
Subject [proxy] Changing the API to an interface (AGAIN)...
Date Thu, 15 Jul 2010 02:21:14 GMT
All,

One of the biggest complaints I've received from folks about the proxy
library is that it's not based on interfaces.  The main class is the
ProxyFactory class and it's a concrete class which implements all
proxying logic using JDK proxies.  We did this for maintainability
(adding stuff to the interface breaks binary compatibility as opposed
to adding a method to a concrete superclass with an implementation).
I would like to re-structure proxy so that it contains a few
modules...

1.  Commons Proxy Core - the API itself containing the ProxyFactory *interface*
2.  Commons Proxy JDK - the JDK proxies implementation
3.  Commons Proxy CGLIB - the CGLIB implementation
4.  Commons Proxy Javassist - the Javassist Library

With the new paradigm of just bumping major version numbers (and
package names) allowing us to break compatibility, I don't think the
interface issue is that much of an issue anymore.  What do you guys
think?

Thanks,

James