commons-dev mailing list archives

From James Carman <>
Subject [proxy] Changing the API to an interface (AGAIN)...
Date Thu, 15 Jul 2010 02:21:14 GMT

One of the biggest complaints I've received from folks about the proxy
library is that it's not based on interfaces.  The main class is the
ProxyFactory class and it's a concrete class which implements all
proxying logic using JDK proxies.  We did this for maintainability
(adding stuff to the interface breaks binary compatibility as opposed
to adding a method to a concrete superclass with an implementation).
I would like to re-structure proxy so that it contains a few

1.  Commons Proxy Core - the API itself containing the ProxyFactory *interface*
2.  Commons Proxy JDK - the JDK proxies implementation
3.  Commons Proxy CGLIB - the CGLIB implementation
4.  Commons Proxy Javassist - the Javassist Library

With the new paradigm of just bumping major version numbers (and
package names) allowing us to break compatibility, I don't think the
interface issue is that much of an issue anymore.  What do you guys

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message