commons-dev mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Distributions: support
Date Sun, 11 Jul 2010 14:53:42 GMT
Mikkel Meyer Andersen wrote:
> Dear Community,
>
> I'm planning to implement lower and upper bounds of the support for
> distributions in a generic way on AbstractContinuousDistribution and
> AbstractIntegerDistribution such that one can get e.g. 0 and n for the
> Binomial, -inf and inf of the Normal etc.? Proposed names for the
> methods are getSupportLowerBound and getSupportUpperBound. For
> AbstractContinuousDistribution they should return a double and on
> AbstractIntegerDistribution an int.
>
> Are there any comments on this proposal?

+1 - have a look at the getDomainLowerBound(double) and
getDomainUpperBound(double).  In theory, the new methods could be
implemented by passing 0 or 1 to these methods.  Some
implementations at least behave that way now.  It might be good to
amend the implementations and eventually (in 3.0) the contracts of
these methods to behave that way uniformly, in which case
implementation could reside there.

+1 in any case to add the new methods.  Thanks!

Phil