commons-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: [codec] NoSuchMethodError
Date Wed, 16 Jun 2010 02:36:59 GMT

On Jun 15, 2010, at 11:08 AM, Brent Worden wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 5:59 AM, Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com> wrote:
>> We have an application trying to use a method from commons codec 1.4 and are getting
a NoSuchMethodError. We are using JBoss and have located 5 copies in the classpath that appear
to be pre-1.4. In searching for other hits on the problem I noticed a commit in drools where
they inlined the code from codec into their project, presumably to avoid this problem.  Is
there any way around this?

> This sounds like a JBoss classloader isolation problem.  commons-codec
> is bundled with JBoss (check ${jboss.home}/server/default/lib) and is
> made visible to all deployed applications.  The JBoss bundled
> commons-codec is probably getting loaded instead of the copy found in
> your war/ear.
>
> You can modify the classloader isolation settings for applications by
> modifying the JBoss deployment descriptors.
> http://community.jboss.org/wiki/classloadingconfiguration contains
> some good instructions on how this is accomplished.

Thanks, Brent.  For some reason related to some other application our ops team has configured
JBoss to not use the webapp classloader first. We recommended they change that. Hopefully
that should solve the problem.

Ralph