commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Bill Barker" <billwbar...@verizon.net>
Subject Re: [Math] Help in debugging process
Date Sat, 12 Jun 2010 00:26:38 GMT

From: "Ted Dunning" <ted.dunning@gmail.com>
Sent: Friday, June 11, 2010 1:11 PM
To: "Commons Developers List" <dev@commons.apache.org>
Subject: Re: [Math] Help in debugging process

> From a user's point of view logging is a waste of time if it doesn't tell
> them something that they need/can take action on.  Thus, I could see that
> solve might log some hints about what to do when it detects a badly
> ill-conditioned input, but I would be really not happy if it logs every
> pivot value that it chooses.  In general, things that work like java.math
> should not log, especially if they throw exceptions anyway.  Larger scale
> systems could plausibly log, but I would be very dubious.

+1

Including logging in [math] has been discussed before  (I don't have a
pointer, but searching the archives for this list should turn it up).  Ted's
comment pretty much sums up the consensus.  Of course, there is also the
very strong feeling that [math] should not have any required external
dependencies.