commons-dev mailing list archives

From Niall Pemberton <niall.pember...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [ALL] Change deployment override in Commons Parent Pom
Date Thu, 17 Jun 2010 15:06:35 GMT
On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 3:27 PM, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 17/06/2010, Niall Pemberton <niall.pemberton@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 3:01 PM, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
>>  > On 26/05/2010, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
>>  >> The Commons parent pom currently overrides the release deployment
>>  >>  descriptor in the Apache parent pom.
>>  >>
>>  >>  This was done for a very good reason - to prevent accidental
>>  >>  deployments to the live forge.
>>  >>
>>  >>  However, now that the Apache parent POM uses the Nexus staging
>>  >>  repository for snapshot and release deployments, IMO the Commons
>>  >>  Parent POM actually makes it less safe.
>>  >>
>>  >>  I think the overrides of the deployment descriptors should be removed
>>  >>  from the Commons Parent pom ASAP - or at least the override should
>>  >>  point to Nexus.
>>  >>
>>  >>  It would still be possible to use the live forge if really necessary
-
>>  >>  by redefining the altDeploymentRepostory property. [Or one could add
>>  >>  profile to define it].
>>  >>
>>  >>  Unfortunately the Commons "release" profile does more than just change
>>  >>  the deployment repository, so one has to use it to create valid
>>  >>  release artifacts.
>>  >>
>>  >>  Views?
>>  >>
>>  >
>>  > Any objections if I start the process of creating the next version of
>>  > the parent pom?
>>  > [i.e. start updating the snapshot pom]
>>

>> +1 - go for it. The first step is to get a release of the pom out.
>
> Will do.
>
> I think the "ci" profile can be dropped.
>
> It looks like the "rc" and "release" profiles can be merged too -
> apart from this section in the "rc" profile, whose purpose escapes me:
>
>          <plugin>
>            <artifactId>maven-assembly-plugin</artifactId>
>            <executions>
>              <execution>
>                <goals>
>                  <goal>attached</goal>
>                </goals>
>                <phase>package</phase>
>              </execution>
>            </executions>
>          </plugin>
>
> Any idea why that is only needed for the "rc" profile? (if that is indeed true)

Its there so the source and binary distros get created when the
"package" phase executes.

If you do "mvn package" on a component you just get the jar
if you do "mvn -Prc package" you get the jars and the source/binary
distros as well

not sure why its not in the "release" profile - but then most releases
are done using the "rc" profile.

Niall