commons-dev mailing list archives

From Brent Worden <brent.wor...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [codec] NoSuchMethodError
Date Tue, 15 Jun 2010 18:08:15 GMT
On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 5:59 AM, Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com> wrote:
> We have an application trying to use a method from commons codec 1.4 and are getting
a NoSuchMethodError. We are using JBoss and have located 5 copies in the classpath that appear
to be pre-1.4. In searching for other hits on the problem I noticed a commit in drools where
they inlined the code from codec into their project, presumably to avoid this problem.  Is
there any way around this?

This sounds like a JBoss classloader isolation problem.  commons-codec
is bundled with JBoss (check ${jboss.home}/server/default/lib) and is
made visible to all deployed applications.  The JBoss bundled
commons-codec is probably getting loaded instead of the copy found in
your war/ear.

You can modify the classloader isolation settings for applications by
modifying the JBoss deployment descriptors.
http://community.jboss.org/wiki/classloadingconfiguration contains
some good instructions on how this is accomplished.

HTH,

Brent Worden