commons-dev mailing list archives

From Rahul Akolkar <rahul.akol...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [scxml-js] GSoC project update
Date Tue, 08 Jun 2010 15:24:16 GMT
On Sun, Jun 6, 2010 at 11:21 PM, Jacob Beard <jbeard4@cs.mcgill.ca> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just wrote an update about my progress for the first two weeks of my
> GSoC project:
>
> http://blog.echo-flow.com/2010/06/06/google-summer-of-code-2010-project-update-1/
>
> If anyone have any questions or comments, please let me know.
<snip/>

First, I think its a good idea to send out such updates every other
week or so, for two reasons:
 * It helps to keep the rest of us informed of some of the design
decisions and the thought process
 * It may help when it comes to the GSoC evaluations to just be able
to point to these to compile project progress reports

WRT the content of the post itself, +1 for the move away from
requiring E4X for compilation :-)

Also, in the last paragraph you mention waiting till you finish
porting more before checking into the Apache SVN -- whereas I'd
actually suggest that you even do all your experimentation in the
Apache SVN (the SVN history, even while experimenting, is quite useful
in the long run). So when I created the project structure, space was
created to host branches of the project code. I'd 'svn cp' trunk to an
appropriately named branch for the XSLT approach, do the experiments
there and either throw it away if the work isn't useful or merge it
back into trunk if it is useful. Since you are probably the only
developer over the next couple of months, the SVN merge shouldn't be
all that painful. This would enable the rest of us to follow the
changes as well, and offer feedback if any as these changes happen.

Similar scenario for reworking the project structure. Branch, try
restructure, merge back if good (if not, just delete branch
eventually).

-Rahul