commons-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [ALL] Change deployment override in Commons Parent Pom
Date Thu, 17 Jun 2010 14:27:12 GMT
On 17/06/2010, Niall Pemberton <niall.pemberton@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 3:01 PM, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
>  > On 26/05/2010, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
>  >> The Commons parent pom currently overrides the release deployment
>  >>  descriptor in the Apache parent pom.
>  >>
>  >>  This was done for a very good reason - to prevent accidental
>  >>  deployments to the live forge.
>  >>
>  >>  However, now that the Apache parent POM uses the Nexus staging
>  >>  repository for snapshot and release deployments, IMO the Commons
>  >>  Parent POM actually makes it less safe.
>  >>
>  >>  I think the overrides of the deployment descriptors should be removed
>  >>  from the Commons Parent pom ASAP - or at least the override should
>  >>  point to Nexus.
>  >>
>  >>  It would still be possible to use the live forge if really necessary -
>  >>  by redefining the altDeploymentRepostory property. [Or one could add a
>  >>  profile to define it].
>  >>
>  >>  Unfortunately the Commons "release" profile does more than just change
>  >>  the deployment repository, so one has to use it to create valid
>  >>  release artifacts.
>  >>
>  >>  Views?
>  >>
>  >
>  > Any objections if I start the process of creating the next version of
>  > the parent pom?
>  > [i.e. start updating the snapshot pom]
>

> +1 - go for it. The first step is to get a release of the pom out.

Will do.

I think the "ci" profile can be dropped.

It looks like the "rc" and "release" profiles can be merged too -
apart from this section in the "rc" profile, whose purpose escapes me:

          <plugin>
            <executions>
              <execution>
                <goals>
                  <goal>attached</goal>
                </goals>
                <phase>package</phase>
              </execution>
            </executions>
          </plugin>

Any idea why that is only needed for the "rc" profile? (if that is indeed true)

>  It might be a good idea to try it out (once the parent pom is released)
>  on one component that is going to use Nexus for the release before
>  switching all components to that version of the parent pom.

That was my plan - perhaps Compress or CLI will lead the way here.