commons-dev mailing list archives

From Rahul Akolkar <rahul.akol...@gmail.com>
Subject [scxml-eclipse] Managing generated code in SVN
Date Thu, 10 Jun 2010 19:51:27 GMT
The generated code needs to be better managed with respect to SVN updates.

As an example of a pattern we don't want to see, r953073 [1] deletes a
number of (previously) generated files. Subsequently, r953075 [2] adds
back some of those files after regenerating based on changes to the
model. Such an SVN usage pattern isn't very useful because (a) SVN
history is wiped clean any time we delete and add back, and (b) the
diffs could be much smaller if we don't delete.

So it should be possible to do better. There are atleast two
approaches that could be adopted here:

(A) Don't delete any files from SVN as done above, just check in the
changes after regeneration. This should result in smaller diffs. Need
to be careful about not losing license headers and any other
round-trip induced problems.

(B) Don't check in generated files at all. This means that anyone
trying to build the plugin will have to download the correct Eclipse
environment and generate code themselves -- so its a little harder for
anyone to just try things. But folks will need a suitable environment
to run the plugin anyway.

What is your preference? Perhaps we can start using the pattern in (A)
and see how things go? It'd be good to decide how we want to manage
these updates before the next round of such SVN updates.

-Rahul

[1] http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=953073
[2] http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=953075