commons-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver Heger <oliver.he...@oliver-heger.de>
Subject Re: [lang] 3.0-beta? [Was: When is next release of commons-lang planned?]
Date Wed, 30 Jun 2010 19:45:37 GMT
Am 30.06.2010 10:32, schrieb Henri Yandell:
> Thanks Samuel. It's come up before and is definitely something to ponder.
>
> On the one hand, API change isn't ruled out. We've tickets to improve
> the vararg'ness in the Validate class, and to incorporate a bit more
> CharSequence work into StringUtils; plus I fully expect/hope for
> feedback on other changes. So probably up to 5% of the API having
> potential tweaks.
>
> On the other hand, it's still at heart the same core code that it's in
> use everywhere. I tend to think of alpha as 'still full of bugs',
> while beta is 'will do the job but no promises'. It's (historically)
> only on a full release that we would consider the API as set.
>
> Hen

Not sure whether it makes such a big difference whether we call it alpha
or beta. For Commons this is an unusual concept, so we should probably
add a disclaimer to make our intension clear.

But anyway, I agree that it is time to move forward with the code we
currently have. It seems to be stable enough.

Oliver