commons-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver Heger <oliver.he...@oliver-heger.de>
Subject Re: [GUMP@vmgump]: Project commons-configuration-test (in module apache-commons) failed
Date Mon, 28 Jun 2010 19:37:24 GMT
Am 28.06.2010 12:09, schrieb sebb:
> On 28/06/2010, Emmanuel Bourg<ebourg@apache.org>  wrote:
>> Le 28/06/2010 10:21, Stefan Bodewig a écrit :
>>

>>> commons-configuration's POM lists dependencies on Xerces 2.6.2 and
>>> xml-apis 1.0.b2 - at least the Xerces version is pretty old by now.
>>>
>>> Inside Gump you get the trunk of Xerces and the trunk of xml-commons'
>>> java/external.  Right now it looks as if Xerces wouldn't see the
>>> xml-apis jar you've downloaded (since that should contain
>>> ElementTranversal).  It may be that ElementTraversal ends up in a
>>> different jar, though.  I'll look into it.
>>>

>>   Thank you Stephan. However if Oliver targets Java 1.4 for the next 1.x
>> release we might probably drop the dependencies on the xml-api and Xerces,
>> if I remember well these were required to remain compatible with Java 1.3.
>
> I'd recommend sticking with the Apache versions. [Just upgrade to the
> latest for your target JVM.]
> AIUI, although some of the XML code in the Java libraries was derived
> from Apache, this was done a long while ago, and has not been updated
> in step.
>
> If you do decide to drop the dependencies, make sure you test with as
> many different Java versions as possible.

Obviously, it is not trivial to drop these dependencies. Removing the
Xerces dependency results in ~60 failing tests, most of them fail
because relative DTD references cannot be resolved.

If I only remove the xml-api reference, I get ~280 test failures of the type
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/w3c/dom/ranges/DocumentRange

Maybe it helps GUMP to update the Xerces version. Does anybody know the
newest version compatible with Java 1.4?

Oliver