commons-dev mailing list archives

From Sean Mickey <s...@seanmickey.com>
Subject LANG-411Thoughts
Date Thu, 24 Jun 2010 10:49:19 GMT
First, I hope this is the appropriate place for my comments / questions
on a specific isse. It seemed like adding a comment in JIRA would be too
heavyweight, so if that is the correct place for this, please let me know.

Regarding LANG-411, the description mentions 2 parameters for each hash
operation: the first a parameter to hold the type instance to be hashed,
the second a hash multiplier.

Shouldn't there also be a way to define a specific hash constant value
as well? Joshua Bloch refers to this value as the starting value for
"result" in his examples and the HashCodeBuilder code maintains an
internal field named: iTotal for this value. It doesn't seem to make
sense to add a parameter to the hashing operations for a starting hash
constant value, but it probably makes sense to add mutators that allow
setting this value across any given type. For example:
setIntHashConstant, setBoolHashConstant, setLongHashConstant, etc.
Default values could be defined so that explicit hash constants are not
required.

Interested for any feedback. Thanks -
Sean