commons-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Bourg <ebo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [ALL] Specification version
Date Fri, 18 Jun 2010 12:12:27 GMT
Le 18/06/2010 12:57, Jörg Schaible a écrit :

> since Sebb is going to modify the parent pom, I want also have your opinion
> about the current values of the Specification-Version in the manifests.
> Currently Maven generates uses the current version of the artifact for
> "Specification-Version" and "Implementation-Version" i.e."<Major>.<Minor>-
> SNAPSHOT" in case of a snapshot or "<Major.Minor>" for the standard release.
> However, in case of a bugfix release, this version is
> "<Major>.<Minor>.<Patch>". The ideal situation would be IMHO that we
have
> the "Specification-Version" always using "<Major>.<Minor>" while the
> "Implementation-Version" should stay the exact version that Maven is using.

Just out of curiosity, what's the benefit of doing this beside saving 2
bytes on the final jar ? Is it relevant for the Commons components since
we aren't defining/implementing standard APIs anyway ?

If we really want to care about these fields and follow the Sun rules
rigorously, then the patch number should probably be preceded by an
underscore instead of a dot:

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/guide/deployment/deployment-guide/version-format.html

Emmanuel Bourg