commons-dev mailing list archives

From Luc Maisonobe <Luc.Maison...@free.fr>
Subject Re: [math] elementary functions.
Date Tue, 08 Jun 2010 20:15:18 GMT
Le 08/06/2010 21:16, James Carman a écrit :
> On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 3:14 PM, Luc Maisonobe <Luc.Maisonobe@free.fr> wrote:
>> I would say it depends both on the size of the contribution and the fact
>> it is completely new or a patch on existing code. The examples I know of
>> are the mantissa library I contributed in 2006, the simplex solver Ben
>> contributed last year and the microsphere interpolation Gilles
>> contributed last year too. In these 3 cases, the size was of the order
>> of magnitude of 100s or 1000s of lines and it was for new features. We
>> asked for a software grant in all cases.
>>

> We asked for the grant because it was required or just as a precaution?

It was required for at least the two first cases. Concerning Mantissa,
it was an existing product I wrote and published under the terms of the
modified BSD license, so it was a large set of code and there was a
license change. Concerning the simplex solver, it was developed by Ben
inside Google so we needed some signed form by a Google exec. I asked on
the legal list for this case and they considered the software grant was
really needed.

Considering microsphere, I checked further: we didn't ask for a software
Grant but rather for an ICLA from Gilles, because he developed it
explicitely for inclusion in commons-math.

I think formally a Software Grant would be needed for all things
imported from outside without having been developed explicitely for the
foundation. The page on the foundation site reads:

  When an individual or corporation decides to donate a body of
  existing software or documentation to one of the Apache projects,
  they need to execute a formal Software Grant Agreement (SGA) with the
  ASF. Typically, this is done after negotiating approval with the ASF
  Incubator or one of the PMCs, since the ASF will not accept software
  unless there is a viable community available to support a
  collaborative project.

As I understand Bill's first message about FastMath, he developed it
over one year and wants to contribute it afterwards, so we need a
Software Grant. Of course it would be even better if at the same time he
would provide an ICLA to be able to maintain it as part of Apache
commons-math.

Luc