commons-dev mailing list archives

From Luc Maisonobe <Luc.Maison...@free.fr>
Subject Re: [math] elementary functions.
Date Tue, 08 Jun 2010 19:14:41 GMT
Le 08/06/2010 21:03, James Carman a écrit :
> On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 2:58 PM, Luc Maisonobe <Luc.Maisonobe@free.fr> wrote:
>> Also as you developed it outside of the project, if you want to
>> contribute it you would have to provide a Software Grant for it (see
>> <http://www.apache.org/licenses/#grants> from the IP owner, which may be
>> you or your employer depending on how the code was developed in the
>> first time.
>
> Attaching it to a JIRA and clicking the radio that says you grant this
> to the ASF would cover it, correct?

I would say it depends both on the size of the contribution and the fact
it is completely new or a patch on existing code. The examples I know of
are the mantissa library I contributed in 2006, the simplex solver Ben
contributed last year and the microsphere interpolation Gilles
contributed last year too. In these 3 cases, the size was of the order
of magnitude of 100s or 1000s of lines and it was for new features. We
asked for a software grant in all cases.

Luc