commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Bill Barker" <billwbar...@verizon.net>
Subject [math] StatUtils handling of zero length arrays - MATH-373
Date Thu, 10 Jun 2010 02:08:34 GMT
Currently StatUtils.sum(double [])  (as well as most other statistics that
operate on arrays) returns NaN on a zero length array.  As pointed out in
the Jira issue, this is not the conventional treatment of a summation over
the empty set (which would return zero) in the mathematical world.  I would
definitely want to change this in 3.0.  But I'm on the fence for how much of
an incompatible change this would be for 2.2.

The change is simple, and I'm volunteering to do the work.  I just wanted to
ping the list for opinions on how much breakage we can allow in 2.2.