commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gilles Sadowski <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org>
Subject Re: [math] incompatible change in r936295
Date Tue, 01 Jun 2010 13:52:47 GMT
Hi.

> Some compiled client code can break if it extends the method, and
> returns something which is a BivariateRealFunction, but not a
> BicubicSplineInterpolatingFunction.
> Since the super class method contract has changed, the client code
> does not respect the contract (return
> BicubicSplineInterpolatingFunction) any longer.
> Hence the break.

Thanks for the explanation.

OK. So there is indeed an incompatible change between 2.1 and current (to
become 2.2). Is this really a problem? I mean, it could be seen as a bug
fix (i.e. it was a mistake to return the super-class type)!
Does the policy forbid such kind of fixes even if prevents the development
of CM code that depends on these fixes?

As I've already proposed for another compatibility breaking fix, can't we
set up a poll on the "user" ML in order to assess the *real* damage that
the modification will entail?

Gilles