commons-dev mailing list archives

From Rahul Akolkar <rahul.akol...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [SCXML] Development plan about SCXML Visual editor
Date Thu, 06 May 2010 15:46:42 GMT
2010/5/6 Xun Long Gui <ustbcoder@gmail.com>:
> Hi Rahul,
> Thank you for your response. Now i know what our work mode is. First, we
> split the whole project to a sub task list, finish it one by one, this first
> job in the list is submitting my start code in Commons sandbox SVN, then i
> should keep on submitting my code as patch to the project SVN.  But there
> are two points i should notice:
> 1. i can not check the source code directly, i should give you my codes and
> you check them for me.
> 2. my code should follow Sun conventions, i can refer to Commons SCXML's
> source code.

<snip/>

Yes, both points above are correct.

> In the following days, i will finish my start code format job under Sun
> conventions and give it to you to share it to sandbox SVN. Then, i will make
> clear milestones of this project and finish them one by one, submit it as a
> patch to SVN once finish a sub task.
>
> But there are two small problems:
> 1. i can not open the mail you marked as 5 (
> http://markmail.org/message/hunh4xaoag3wiimu), so i am not sure what the sub
> task's format is. If i can find a example, i will know it better.
<snap/>

I can access that URL. For example of sub-tasks, see:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ATTIC-1

Also, let me paste the important portion of that message here:

<paste src="http://markmail.org/message/hunh4xaoag3wiimu">

On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 11:23 AM, Jacob Beard wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to start populating JIRA with tasks and milestones related to
> my GSoC project,
<snip/>

+1

> and I'm wondering what is the best way to go about
> this. I think these tasks should go under the SCXML project in
> JIRA[1], but I'm not sure if I should do more to differentiate them as
> a separate sub-project.
<snap/>

One option is to create sub-tasks for the original issue you have,
SCXML-115 [1] (see LHS menu).

This will create separate issues in JIRA for each task, so they can be
managed independently, but it will also neatly roll everything up
under the above umbrella issue. For an example of this (from another
project), see ATTIC-1 [2].

What do you think about using this approach?

-Rahul

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SCXML-115
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ATTIC-1

</paste>

> 2.i use my finished demo as start code, but i think there are many problems
> in the demo. The most important point is that this demo's data model is not
> complete, may be i should redo the data model and refactor source code, in
> fact, i am working on it. So, it is certainly that the first patch after
> start code is a very big patch.

<snip/>

OK, I'd suggest not worrying about completeness to begin with.
Ideally, we want to get your initial code in SVN sooner rather than
later and then continue making smaller, incremental and regular
patches rather than large patches with more time in between (these
tend to be harder to follow, and harder to make changes to).

> Now i know mainly our work mode and i will finish start code format job as
> soon as possible to submit it, at the same time, i will keep on building
> data model structure for our project.

<snap/>

Great, and again, its OK to have large parts left in TODOs in code and
thus getting started in the Commons Sandbox SVN sooner.

-Rahul