commons-dev mailing list archives

From Torsten Curdt <tcu...@vafer.org>
Subject Re: [COMPRESS] Add getArchiveType() method to [Archive|Compressor]InputStream classes?
Date Tue, 11 May 2010 23:41:28 GMT
>>  IIUC you want the type of the archive, but we are dealing here with
>>  Archiver implementations. In theory we could have 2 different
>>  implementations for e.g. "zip".
>
> But they would both return "zip", which is what is wanted.

That is the question. They could as well also be

 standard-zip
 something-special-zip

We have 3 different kinds of "zip".

Implementation "zip" -> Archive Type "zip" -> File Exension "zip"

Now it depends on how we want to handle this at the factory level.
Right now we only have one implementation per archive type - with the
implementation names being the same as the types. So we still have the
luxury of making up our minds about this.

One thing that also crossed my mind was a possible relation to file
extensions and mime-types. Maybe it would make sense to have a
ArchiveType with meta information? I don't know. I might as well just
over analyzing this :)

Rant over and out.

cheers
--