commons-dev mailing list archives

From Christian Grobmeier <grobme...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [compress] Last issues before 1.1
Date Fri, 21 May 2010 10:02:16 GMT
> BTW, I have just been working through using Nexus in the BSF release
> (not yet complete, but nothing to do with Nexus) and it does seem to
> be much more convenient for handling Maven artifact voting /
> releasing.
>
> The big advantage is that the vote can take place on the actual
> artifacts that will be released, not a separately generated copy.
> Also, the uploaded files are held in a staging area which can be
> dropped and recreated if there are problems (whereas normal deploy
> goes straight to the repo forge).
>
> Would you be willing to try this? I can help if you run into problems.

I can do it with Nexus, but I really don't have a big clue of it. Are
there any documents I can read which are explaining me more on this?
To be honest its the first time I heard of it (except some mentions on
some mailinglist)

> The suggested approach is to start with deploying directly from trunk,
> i.e. a SNAPSHOT version. This goes to a snapshot repo where the
> contents can be inspected. It cannot be released from there.

OK, so I would create this snapshot locally and then upload it manually?
Where does it need to go, is it a webinterface?

> When the tag has been built, the deploy process will upload to a
> staging repo instead, which can either be dropped or promoted if the
> vote succeeds.

The tag is done by the tool itself?

Sorry for dump questions. I am lost with this process but willing to
learn since the last time I was not too happy with the mvn release
process
Christian