commons-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [all] preparing initial commit
Date Mon, 17 May 2010 07:40:38 GMT
On 17/05/2010 04:25, Jacob Beard wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm currently working to prepare the initial commit for my Google
> Summer of Code project. I have a quick question regarding external
> libraries. My project currently uses a few libraries which are
> licensed under liberal, non-copyleft licenses. A list of these
> libraries and their associated licenses is as follows:
>
> Mozilla Rhino - MPL
> Dojo JavaScript toolkit - BSD/AFL dual license
> Selenium - Apache 2.0 License
> js-beautify - something a bit non-standard:
> http://github.com/einars/js-beautify/blob/master/license.txt
> json2 - Public Domain
>
> Is it possible to include these libraries in the source tree of my project?

I'd be very strongly against that. The exact versions required should be
downloaded from a stable location as part of the build process. Maven
should do this for you. Alternatively take a look at the Tomcat build
file that has a simple dependency download with the build script.

Given the widespread use of Maven in Commons, I'd suggest that Maven is
the way to go.

Mark