commons-dev mailing list archives

From Siegfried Goeschl <siegfried.goes...@it20one.at>
Subject Re: Call for Participation: Technical Talks -- ApacheCon North America 2010
Date Sat, 01 May 2010 12:45:09 GMT
Hi folks,

quite frankly I would love to give a presentation at ApacheCon but it
should be something that

+) is of general interest
+) and I have good knowledge about
+) and I also should actively contribute to the topic

which rules out pretty much everything ... :-)

Having said that I would like to pick up Rahoul's idea of doing a joint
presentation of Apache Commons (Rahoul organized a small scale one for
ApacheCon Europe 2007)

"Would it be a good idea to organize a Apache Commons track covering 2-3
regular speaking slots where we can present various Apache Commons
components?"

The point is that a Commons component presentation is probably be
smaller than a regular speaking slot but we have interesting stuff.

Feedback appreciated,

Siegfried Goeschl

On 28.04.10 19:48, Sally Khudairi wrote:
> ApacheCon North America 2010
> 1-5 November 2010 -- Westin Peachtree in Atlanta
>
> Technical Tracks: Call For Participation
> All submissions must be received by Friday, 28 May 2010 at midnight Pacific Time.
> The official conference, trainings, and expo of The Apache Software Foundation (ASF)
returns to Atlanta this November, with dozens of technical, business, and community-focused
sessions at the beginner, intermediate, and advanced levels.

> Over the past decade, the ASF has gone from strength to strength, developing and shepherding
nearly 150 Top-Level Projects and new initiatives in the Apache Incubator and Labs. This year's
ApacheCon celebrates how Apache technologies have sparked creativity, challenged processes,
streamlined development, improved collaboration, launched businesses, bolstered economies,
and improved lives.

> We are proud of our achievements and recognize that the global Apache community --both
developers and users-- are responsible for the success and popularity of our products.

> The ApacheCon Planning Team are soliciting 50-minute technical presentations for the
next conference, which will focus on the theme “Servers, the Cloud, and Innovation”.

> We are particularly interested in highly-relevant, professionally-directed presentations
that demonstrate specific probrlems and real-world solutions. Part of the technical program
has already been planned; we welcome proposals based on the following Apache Projects and
related technical areas:

> - Cassandra/NoSQL
> - Content Technologies
> - (Java) Enterprise Development
> - Felix/OSGi
> - Geronimo
> - Hadoop + friends/Cloud Computing
> - Lucene, Mahout + friends/Search
> - Tomcat
> - Tuscany
> Submissions are open to anyone with relevant expertise: ASF affiliation is not required
to present at, attend, or otherwise participate in ApacheCon.

> Please keep in mind that whilst we encourage submissions that the highlight the use of
specific Apache solutions, we are unable to accept marketing/commercially-oriented presentations.

> Other proposals, such as panels, or those longer than 50 minutes in duration have been
considered in the past. You are welcome to submit an alternate presentation, however, such
sessions are accepted under exceptional circumstances. Please be as descriptive as possible,
including names/bios of proposed panelists and any related details.

> All accepted speakers (not co-presenters) qualify for general conference admission and
a minimum of two nights lodging at the conference hotel. Additional hotel nights and travel
assistance are possible, depending on the number of presentations given and type of assistance
needed.

> To submit a presentation proposal, please send an email to submissions AT apachecon DOT
com containing the following information in plaintext (no attachments, please):

> 1. Your full name, title, and organization
>
> 2. Contact information, including your address
>
> 3. The name of your proposed session (keep your title simple and relevant to the topic)
>
> 4. The technical category of the intended presentation (Cassandra/NoSQL; Content Technologies;
(Java) Enterprise Development; Felix/OSGi; Geronimo; Hadoop + friends/Cloud Computing; Lucene,
Mahout + friends/Search; Tomcat; or Tuscany)

> 5. The classification for each presentation (Servers, Cloud, or Innovation) – some
presentations may have more than one theme (e.g., a next-generation server can be classified
both as "Servers" and "Innovation"

> 6. The intended audience level (beginner, intermediate, advanced)
>
> 7. A 75-200 word overview of your presentation
>
> 8. A 100-200-word speaker bio that includes prior conference speaking or related experience
>
> 9. Feedback or references (with contact information) on presentations given within the
last three years

> To be considered, proposals must be received by Friday, 28 May 2010 at midnight Pacific
Time. Please email any questions regarding proposal submissions to cfp AT apachecon DOT com.