commons-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DOC] Add development section to Common Site?
Date Sat, 10 Apr 2010 00:37:09 GMT
> sebb wrote:
>  > Commons Site has a menu section as follows:
>  >
>  > General Information
>  >
>  >     * Volunteering
>  >     * Contributing Patches
>  >     * Building Components
>  >     * Releasing Components
>  >     * Wiki
>  >
>  > I think it would be useful to add a page on Issue tracking, which
>  > could explain some of the conventions that we use.
>
> +1
>

>  > Also, perhaps Building/Releasing Components should be moved into a
>  > separate Developer section.
>

> I think the "building" link at least should stay on the main page as
>  we should be encouraging / showing users how to build from source.

Actually, I just meant adding another "section" to the menu.

>  I am a little ambivalent on the whole concept of the "Developer"
>  section as our users are developers.

Good point, but I think there are many who just want to download and
use the libraries,  and are not interested in how the libraries are
developed. I think it would be useful to provide some separation
between the different levels of involvement.

I think the general user information needs to be presented first.
In particular, the Wiki link needs to be higher up the list.